Chemicals in Humberside
Established skills base:
- Direct access to a core of the UK’s highly skilled chemistry and chemical engineering employees and graduates
- Cutting edge chemical processing R&D programmes in The Humber are also addressing key industry issues including sustainability, technology, training, supply chains and production.
- 6,000 employees in the Humber chemicals sector – the talent you need to develop chemicals processing solutions
- 5 world class universities in the Northern Powerhouse offering courses in the field of chemistry
- 7,655 industry ready graduates per year in the Northern Powerhouse specialising in courses related to the chemicals sector
- East coast port access means good links with European ports and critical shipping routes
- Chemical cluster near strategic port: The Humber Ports offer unrivalled facilities and capabilities, and together handle more than 77milion tonnes of cargo annually and more than 60 sailings a week to mainland Europe.
- The Humber is located right by the end of the M62 with close proximity to freight distribution centres – making it the logical choice for container traffic coming into the UK.
Local support for investment:
- “Growing the Humber” Capital Grant Scheme designed to support SME based capital investment, and in exceptional circumstances, provide support to large companies
- Business Loan Fund Programme designed to unlock capital projects that have the potential for job creation and can quickly deliver tangible economic outcomes
- ERDF funding supports several initiatives for SME investments including training for staff, the manufacturing growth programme, the ICT voucher scheme and exporting support
- Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund designed to bring forward projects and expansions
This opportunity is:
Costs of labour, industrial property and utilities are highly competitive in the UK.
Supported by government
The UK’s visa system is investor friendly and the Department for International trade offers advice on skills, finance and more.
Business networks and access to funding and academic institutions can help you get established and growing.
Croda International Plc produces high performance ingredients and technologies that are relied on by industries and consumers globally and has been operating in the Humber since 1925. The business still has its headquarters and two of its four UK manufacturing sites in the region. The site in Hull is one of their largest and uses oleochemical technology to provide innovative solutions to their customers using renewable and sustainable feedstocks. An onsite wind turbine also provides a large amount of the facility’s energy.