Do field research

Consider joining a trade mission to your target market or attending in-country exhibitions or events. When it comes to bigger field research projects, you may want to use a market research agency.

Doing field research in-house can keep costs down but may need a dedicated member of staff. There will be costs associated with visiting the country and you may need to pay for a translator. If you’re unsure about research techniques and questionnaire design, contact the in-country Chambers of Commerce for advice.

Appointing a market research agency can be expensive but their results should be thorough and objective. Select one you trust and brief them well. Make sure their proposal includes:

  • what they’re researching and how
  • a breakdown of costs and expenses
  • timescales and the report format
  • a confidentiality agreement

Use the government’s overseas network

The Overseas Market Introduction Services (OMIS) is a paid service offered by the Department for International Trade through its network of staff in overseas embassies and consulates.

OMIS offers:

  • bespoke market research, sector advice and market entry strategies
  • support during overseas visits
  • identification of possible business partners
  • help preparing for exhibitions, events and trade fairs

Contact your local International Trade Advisor (ITA) to find out about OMIS. Your ITA can help with advice on all aspects of exporting.

Did you find this useful?

Yes , No
Occasional exporter
1   of 42
90 mins read time to complete

Register or sign in to save your progress