International intellectual property protection

You only need to make one application for a trade mark or patent within the EU and can apply through the European Union Intellectual Property Office.

Outside of the EU, you generally have to make an application to every country you want protection in. Although you can apply to the World Intellectual Property Organization for protection in countries that have signed up to the ‘Madrid Protocol’.

Depending on the country, you’ll need to research how you can apply for intellectual property (IP) protection or you can use an IP lawyer. Using an IP lawyer makes the process easier as they can:

  • apply on your behalf
  • offer expert IP advice based on your business plan
  • have connections with lawyers in other countries

Read the Intellectual Property Office’s guidance on:

Did you find this useful?

Yes , No
1   of 49
101 mins read time to complete

Register or sign in to save your progress