Get support to move your business to the UK - the Global Entrepreneur Program
The UK government’s Global Entrepreneur Programme (GEP) helps high-growth overseas companies relocate to the UK.
If you are an entrepreneur or founder of an innovative technology business based overseas you may be eligible for UK government support to help you move your business to the UK.
How the programme works
The Global Entrepreneur Programme (GEP) offers mentoring and business support to non-UK based founders to help them set up and scale their business from a UK global headquarters.
Support is free and includes:
- mentoring from experienced entrepreneurs
- help to develop business plans
- assistance with relocating to the UK
- providing introductions to key networks including investors
- guidance on how to grow internationally
- continued help from DIT once located in the UK, especially around exporting
GEP participants are mentored by experienced entrepreneurs known as ‘dealmakers’, who are experienced in setting up, building, scaling and selling technology companies.
Once the founder and company have relocated to the UK, GEP continues to support them through its Alumni Academy Programme.
The programme provides support by helping companies:
- build capability in key business areas
- scale up and fulfil their export ambitions
- make connections in the wider UK tech eco-system
How to qualify for GEP support
You must be:
- an overseas-based entrepreneur and founder of an innovative technology business
- willing to relocate and establish the company’s global headquarters in the UK
You must have:
- a potentially ground-breaking product or service based on unique technology
- a business plan outlining how the business can expand from a headquarters in the UK
- a customer-validated product either already in the market or ready to launch
- a clear commercial proposition that addresses a large global opportunity
Visa application endorsement
GEP can endorse your application for a Tier 1 innovator visa.
For your visa application to be endorsed you must:
- be able to show you have been accepted onto the Global Entrepreneur Programme
- provide evidence you meet the criteria of the innovator visa
Email GEPVisaQueries@trade.gov.uk for further information.
Companies the GEP has helped
Examples of companies the GEP has supported to relocate to the UK include:
- digital marketplace for small and medium-sized enterprises finance CreditEnable from India
- genetic and diagnostic health testing company DNAfit from South Africa
- online investment management company Nutmeg from the United States
- space system applications company Orbital Micro Systems from the United States
- realtime feedback and data collection solutions company Pisano from Turkey
- seat upgrade travel software/app company Seatfrog from Australia
Email email@example.com for more information about the Global Entrepreneur Programme.
For companies who are not suitable for GEP support, contact DIT’s Investment Services Team to find out how they can support your expansion into the UK.