Rail infrastructure in Doncaster
Established rail base
- A major part of the local economy for more than 150 years.
- Over 50 rail companies located here.
- A highly integrated supply chain and well connected infrastructure.
Skills and research
- 8,000 highly skilled people working in rail.
- World-class research centres and academic institutions such as The Centre of Innovation in Rail, The Institute for Railway Research, the National College of High Speed Rail, the Rail Innovation and Technology Centre and The University of Huddersfield.
Access and logistics
- Central UK location with excellent access to the 80 billion GBP of opportunities in continental markets.
- Specialised logistics and infrastructure. This includes iPortrail, a freight hub creating local, national and international supply chains.
This opportunity is:
Costs of labour, industrial property and utilities are highly competitive in the UK.
Supported by government
The UK’s visa system is investor friendly and the Department for International trade offers advice on skills, finance and more.
Business networks and access to funding and academic institutions can help you get established and growing.
Doncaster is the home of UK high-speed rail and is at the heart of developing rail travel and rolling stock of the future. It offers businesses easy access to the rail industry and the investment opportunities on offer.
Hitachi Rail Europe
Hitachi Rail Europe is a global provider of total railway solutions. It has invested over 80 million GBP in its Doncaster rail facility.
To meet growing demand, the company has announced the creation of 250 new jobs to maintain and upgrade rolling stock.
The Austrian-Swiss railway engineering provider set up its UK head office in Doncaster in 2014.
The company recruited more staff to meet increased demand just weeks after opening.
Unipart Rail supplies over 70,000 rail products and installation materials.
Over 400 people work at their headquarters in Doncaster.
Wabtec Rail, part of Wabtec Corporation, is a leading US supplier of products and services for the rail industry.
Their UK base is in Doncaster.
It now employs over 1,000 additional people at the site and is investing to increase site capacity by 30%.