Make an export plan
An export plan is a business plan for selling overseas. It should detail the decisions you’ve made based on your market research, your objectives and how you plan to achieve them.
A well structured plan will make sure you’ve thought about all the possibilities, chosen a logical path forward and set targets to keep you on track.
Your export plan is a tool to show banks, investors or partners that you’re serious and have realistic and achievable goals.
What to include in your export plan
Your export plan should include:
- an explanation of why you want to export including the benefits
- your product or service offering and what makes you different from the competition
- any changes you need to make to your product or service for the new market
- your target markets and the reasons for choosing them
- how you intend to protect your intellectual property
- how you’ll market your product
- how you intend to resource your plan including staffing and finance
- your operating model or route to market
- operational information including transport, distribution, customs and licences
- your objectives
- targets and how you will measure them