- Choosing an agent or distributor
Choosing an agent or distributor
In some countries it can be difficult to part with an agent or distributor before the end of their contract and they may have a legal right to compensation.
Take time to choose the right agent or distributor. Discuss their experience and ask for a list of other exporters they represent who you can contact for a reference. Get listings and recommendations for agents or distributors from:
- other companies operating in the same sector
- contacts at trade fairs and exhibitions
- UK and overseas trade associations
- our international trade adviser network
You should detail responsibilities, targets and how they’ll be measured in a written agreement. Get legal help to create the contract.