Report corruption and human rights violations

Last updated 19 March 2019

If you, your employee or agent have been solicited for a bribe it is advisable to notify the relevant UK Embassy, local anti-corruption authority, or if it is a donor-funded project, the donor.

It is important to report if a bribe has been paid. Allegations of bribery and corruption involving UK companies or foreign companies or individuals with a connection to the UK can be reported to the National Crime Agency and the Serious Fraud Office.

If your case does not have a connection to the UK, you may still be required to report it to the relevant authorities of other countries such as the US Department of Justice. If you’re unsure of how to proceed seek legal advice.

If you discover a bribe has been paid by an organisation you work for, or an organisation that works for you, you could report this internally first, or if you do not want to do this you can report externally from a list of prescribed persons and bodies.

Companies self-reporting their own bribery to external anti-corruption organisations and fully cooperating with any such investigations are likely to increase the prospects of receiving a better and swifter resolution.

Online resources include: